In today’s world there are a variety of reasons to whiten your teeth. Some people have always aspired to have beautiful glowing white teeth of those seen on models and actors while others just want to subtlety improve the colour of their own teeth.
The natural colour of the teeth varies due to a variety of reasons including:
- Age. Teeth colour general changes and may become discoloured, stained or yellow over time due to a person’s diet, whether they smoke or not, and accumulation of plaque and tartar.
- Consumption of food and drinks. Food and drinks start to stain over time and cause discolouration. Intense or dark colour food and drinks such as red wine, coffees, cola, soft drinks, soups and some fruits accelerates this process and causes stains.
- Smoking. Tobacco discolours the enamel of the teeth.
- Treatment with antibiotics. Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during childhood may cause internal discolouration.
- Trauma. Trauma and injury to the teeth may cause a brown, black or grey colour.
Whitening your teeth may be beneficial in a variety of ways including boasting confidence and self esteem by improving your appearance. As teeth discolours during natural aging, whitening may make you look younger and more youthful. Teeth whitening is also very popular for people before special events such as weddings, class reunions, parties and events or before starting a new job or taking an interview.